Please remember that the views on this podcast and website are not meant to be substituted for medical advice, shouldn’t be used to diagnose, treat or cure any conditions, and are intended for general information purposes only.
In this episode, Stephanie interviews Ali Miller, RD from AliMillerRD.com to discuss considerations for cesarean births including: the mental and emotional side of changing your birth plan, concerns for mom and baby, and tips for a speedy recovery! Ali shares her story of home birth turned hospital cesarean and how she took action to ensure optimal health for herself and her baby, Stella. It’s a truly inspiring story!
Because our conversation was jam-packed with resources to support those planning or recovering from a cesarean birth, we decided to split the episode into two parts. That way, you’ll be able to take in all of this great information without feeling overwhelmed (in a good way!).
Enjoy the listen!
Topics discussed in Part 1:
- Ali’s story
- Her original birth plan and how that changed
- How she managed the change in birth plan (emotionally, mentally, physically)
- The differences between a gentle (or natural or family-centered) cesearean and a traditional cesarean
Topics discussed in Part 2:
- Concerns of cesarean sections
- How to address these concerns with a food-as-medicine, functional medicine approach
- Considerations for mom and baby
- Vaginal inoculation and supplements
- Low-carb, moderate protein, high-fat diets during pregnancy and nursing
- How Ali feeds her toddler
- Ali’s practice, cookbook, and services
- Naturally Nourished: Food-as-Medicine for Optimal Health cookbook
- Supplements mentioned on podcast:
- Upspring Well-Baby multi-vitamin (baby)
- Metagenics UltraFlora probiotic (baby)
- Nordic Naturals EPA/DHA (baby and mom)
- Systemic Enzyme Complex by Pure Encapsulations (mom)
- Basic Prenatal by Thorne (mom)
- S-Acetyl Glutathione with NAC (mom)
- 60 billion blend of Bifido and Lactobacillus-based probiotic and a wide spectrum blend of 20 billion strains (mom)
- Steph’s Healthy Mama, Happy Baby Virtual Pregnancy Handbook