Please remember that the views on this podcast and website are not meant to be substituted for medical advice, shouldn’t be used to diagnose, treat or cure any conditions, and are intended for general information purposes only.
In this episode, Dr. Aviva Romm helps us understand why moms need more than just a 6-week checkup. She highlights important lab tests to get done after baby, realistic tips to support your thyroid and adrenal glands as a new mama, and what moms need to know (but are often not told) when it comes to navigating thyroid health after baby. She also shares insights into obstetric violence, trauma, and unwanted interventions in the birth room. This difficult conversation needs to be discussed so mamas feel seen, know how to stand up for their rights and policies can be changed. All mamas deserve to get the support they need to begin their healing process after difficult birth experiences.
- Why moms need more than just a 6-week checkup
- Important lab tests to get done postpartum
- How hormonal shifts impact mood, energy, and libido
- What happens to our thyroid postpartum
- How and when to get tested for accurate results
- Why moms’ concerns are often dismissed
- Postpartum thyroiditis signs and symptoms
- Helpful supplements that are safe while nursing
- Obstetric violence, trauma, and unwanted interventions
- Dr. Aviva Romm’s website
- Find Dr. Aviva Romm on Instagram
- Check out Dr. Aviva Romm’s books
- Blog: What New Moms Need to Know About Thyroid Problems
- Blog: 6 Essential Supplements for Your Thyroid and Hashimoto’s
- Learn how to study with Aviva here
- Take the free mini course at Dr. Elana’s Med School for Moms
- Follow Steph and Elana on Instagram
- Whole Mamas Podcast Archive
This episode's guest
Dr. Aviva Romm is a midwife, herbalist, and Yale-trained MD, Board Certified in Family Medicine with Obstetrics, who has been bridging the best of traditional medicine with good science for over three decades. Her focus is on what she calls our total health ecology, utilizing exposome medicine to identify and reverse the root causes of chronic health conditions, particularly hormonal problems in women and common children’s health problems. She is considered one of the world’s leaders in botanical medicine and is the author of 7 books on natural medicine, including the textbook Botanical Medicine for Women’s Health (Elsevier) and The Adrenal Thyroid Revolution (Harper One). Dr. Romm is the author of the integrative medicine curriculum for the Yale Internal Medicine and Pediatric Residencies, is on numerous scientific advisory and editorial boards, and is a widely sought and highly engaging speaker. Her online programs for women are wildly popular and successful, helping women take back their health, affordably, and her innovative professional programs are educating a next generation of health practitioners. Her non-profit organization, DharmaMoms, provides funding for midwifery education and salaries in high risk obstetric, low resource communities. Dr. Romm lives and practices medicine in the Berkshires and New York City.