Have you had the experience of going to create your baby registry, standing in the aisle of a big box store, and feeling paralyzed by all of the choices? So have we, and we want to help you out. Welcome to our Whole Mamas Must-Haves series, where we share our recommendations for all baby-related products!
Today our co-creator Steph Gruenke and Content Coordinator Chelsea Long are sharing what they used and loved while breastfeeding; and some of the mamas from our Instagram community are sharing their picks, too.
The Haaka Silicone Manual Breastpump is something I wish I would have known about with my first. During the first weeks postpartum, I lost precious ounces of milk during each nursing session. Instead of capturing that milk in a lightweight container, like the Haakaa, milk from the breast my baby wasn’t nursing on ended up all over my sheets. This lightweight pump is great for nursing mamas who want a convenient portable pump, an easier option for expressing milk in the middle of the night, and for capturing additional ounces while nursing.
Motherlove Nipple Cream was recommended to me by multiple lactation consultants, and I can’t thank them enough. I loved how soothing this product was in the early weeks of constant nursing. All of the ingredients are certified organic and safe for consumption, so I felt confident my little one wasn’t ingesting anything harmful. I bought them in bulk and kept them at each of my nursing stations throughout the house, in my diaper bag, and in my purse.
I noticed more efficient milk output and more comfortable pumping sessions after I started using the Pumping’ Pals Breastpump Flanges. Some of the mamas in my community report fewer issues with recurrent plugged ducts when using these flanges. The company has a really generous return policy, so if they don’t work for you, there’s no loss.
Nursing twins is a whole new adventure. Using a twin nursing pillow has been a key for me in figuring out tandem nursing. I was able to score mine for cheap at a consignment store. Unfortunately, the brand I have is not available anymore, but I used a My Brest Friend pillow with my firstborn and I bet the My Brest Friend Twin nursing pillow would be great, as well. If you plan to nurse a lot in bed, especially in the early days, it would be convenient to have a bed food tray to keep your water or snacks handy and within reach.
I’m renting a hospital grade breast pump and have pumped daily since the day I delivered because one of my twins was in the NICU for two weeks. A major key is having a few comfortable pumping bras so that I can be hands free while pumping. My favorite by far is this one by Medela. I also used the Haaka when I nursed the twin who stayed with me! It was so convenient those early days.
Top 5 picks from our Instagram Mamas
- Pop it on the breast you’re not nursing from and it’s amazing how quickly you’ll get a stash going with very little effort! – @mrsbigtime
- Haakaa was the best product out of all my productsl!! – @rutgersjen
- I love the nursing covers from Milk Snob! The material feels nice and seems to be better quality than other products on the market that are similar. It made me feel comfortable and modest. – @ashleybcarlsen
- Love my Copper Pearl nursing cover for when we are out and about. And a good nursing bra is key! – @meganbarley
- One-handed snacks! Hard-boiled eggs, Epic bars, Larabars, plantain chips, etc… – @missyjoyro
- Larabar ❤ – @mtnaygetsfit
- Nice tall glass of water! – @hanka_squish
- A Hydroflask for all the water! – @kendraschaefer08
My Brest Friend Nursing Pillow:
- At the beginning the brest friend pillow was my saving grace! – @scoginaco
- My brest friend is my favorite product! My arms don’t get tired and I can even do it hands free sometimes! – @amberking0528
- My Brest Friend nursing pillow. Way better than the Boppy for nursing (but Boppy is great for tummy time and other uses)! – @sgnels
Clothes for Mama:
- Layers! Tank tops with open sweaters over the top. [email protected]
- A nursing bra! I don’t really do covers or special nursing clothes anymore. I’m way more go with the flow this time around! – @merrywill
- BLANQI Girls postpartum support and nursing leggings. I LIVE in them! – @risetothechallenge_pregnancy
- Love the clothes from Latched Mama. – @ejrohr1
Honorable mention — Lactation Consultant
- Lactation consultants on speed dial. They will always have a special place in my heart after learning to breastfeed my son. I call them angels sent from heaven for tired, overwhelmed new moms. – @sgnels
- My lactation consultant was a lifesaver! – @mrslaurenheath
Looking for a lactation consultant in your area? Check out this resource to search for a certified lactation consultant near you.
Note: Some of the links contained in this website are affiliate links. This means that we may receive a commission if you click on the link and make a purchase from the affiliate. We only recommend products and services that we know or trust to be of high quality, whether an affiliate relationship is in place or not.